For the past several weeks or so I have been trying to catch up on the TV show Lost. I saw the first two seasons and then lost touch with the series and now I have been trying to catch up so I can be culturally relevant and watch the 8 hour series finale sometime later this month.
If you watch hours and hours of Lost in one sitting you start to see that the show is basically about the impact a father has on their children and how those grown children try to work out their hurt. Here’s the list.
- Jack—Father is a controlling drunk.
- Hurley—Father left him at the age of 10 and them comes back into his life after he wins $150 million.
- Kate—Father left the family and then her step-father abused her mother and tried to molest her.
- Sawyer—Father kills his mother and himself in front of Sawyer.
- John—Father is a con man who tries to kill him after manipulating and stealing from him.
- Sayid—Overbearing father on his brother.
- Ben—Father blames him for his mother’s death, is a drunk and abusive. Ben eventually kills him.
- Ben (as a father)—steals a woman’s baby and raises it as his own through lying, stealing, and murder.
- Michael—Doesn’t know how to be a father to Walt so tries to control and protect him.
- Penny—Father is controlling trying to steer Desmond away from her. Eventually breaks all relationship with him.
- Charley—Father is absent
- Clair—Father is Jack’s father who lives in America and has no relationship with his daughter.
- Sun—Father is a Korean thug who runs his company by beating and killing
- Jin—Jin is ashamed of his father
- Miles—His father was absent for his entire life because he stayed on the island
- Faraday—His father is also the father of Penny, controlling, manipulative, and absent.
- Charlotte—Parents divorce but say they still love each other.
- Boone—His father marries a controlling and manipulative woman creating a mess of a step-family.
What impact has your father had on your story?